Logo

Marcotte Quits


  -  Digg!Submit to NetscapeBookmark at del.icio.usreddit

The title says it all, really. They harassed her and the campaign until she felt the negative attention was doing far more damage than she could do good. I personally disagree, I think what all of this did was show how petty the right has become and how unwilling they are to address Democratic campaigns on issues that voters really care about like health care, sane national defense, and of course those evil taxes.

Says Marcotte,

Regardless, it was creating a situation where I felt that every time I coughed, I was risking the Edwards campaign. No matter what you think about the campaign, I signed on to be a supporter and a tireless employee for them, and if I can’t do the job I was hired to do because Bill Donohue doesn’t have anything better to do with his time than harass me, then I won’t do it. I resigned my position today and they accepted.

The letter written by Frances Kissling of Catholics for a Free Choice in support of Marcotte and McEwen is a breath of fresh air. I know there are a lot of people of faith out there that can be reasonable about these things, and this is certainly one of them. You can read Amanda's entire announcment at pandagon.net.

Amanda did the honorable thing by leaving the campaign, but I don't think it was the right choice. Edwards keeping them on staff sent a strong message to the fundies that nearly made them choke to death on their own bile, and as many noted, was the first real instance of someone standing up to the swift-boat tactics and shooting them down as nothing but inane screaming by people intolerant of others who have different views on the world than they do.

With Amanda quitting, I think -- to steal a stupid term from Republicans -- the whiners and the hypocrites have just been emboldened in ways we won't begin to realize for sometime. Now they know (even though it's illegal for them to do so) that they can interfere with elections without punishment from the law that they richly deserve, and now they know they can actually get what they want if they yell loud enough.

I hope that McEwen sticks with it for the duration and still lets her personal feelings and thoughts be known to the world in places more proper than the campaign blog. Let 'em have it.

tags: , , , ,
Like this post? Subscribe to RSS, or get daily e-mails.

Got something to say? Post a Comment. Got a question or info? Send it to me. If all else fails, you can return to the home page.

Add to Google
Add to Technorati Favorites
Recent Posts
Archives
Links
Powered by Blogger

The text of this article is Copyright © 2006,2007 Paul William Tenny. All rights reserved. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License. Attribution by: full name and original URL. Comments are copyrighted by their authors and are not subject to the Creative Commons license of the article itself.